- 250-295g all-purpose flour OR bread flour divided
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 175ml cup warm water
- Semolina flour
- Combine 1 cup (125g) of flour, instant yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. If desired, add garlic powder and dried basil at this point as well.
- Add olive oil and warm water and use a wooden spoon to stir well very well.
- Gradually add another 1 cup (125g) of flour. Add any additional flour as needed stirring until the dough is forming into a cohesive, elastic ball and is beginning to pull away from the sides of the bowl. The dough will still be slightly sticky but still should be manageable with your hands.
- Drizzle a separate, large, clean bowl generously with olive oil and use a pastry brush to brush up the sides of the bowl.
- Lightly dust your hands with flour and form your pizza dough into a round ball and transfer to your olive oil-brushed bowl. Use your hands to roll the pizza dough along the inside of the bowl until it is coated in olive oil, then cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and place it in a warm place.
- Allow dough to rise for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, use your hands to gently deflate it and transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead briefly until smooth (about 3-5 times).
- Use either your hands or a rolling pin to work the dough into 12″ circle.
- sprinkle Semolina flour on the base of the pizza.
- Transfer dough onto baking paper placed on a baking tray
Semolina flour is used for pizza crust, it gives it a crispy bottom yet chewy texture to give a nice crust.