- 1 butternut squash, about 1kg, peeled and deseeded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 850ml hot vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche, plus more to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Cut 1 peeled and deseeded butternut squash into large cubes, about 4cm/1½in across, then toss in a large roasting tin with 1 tbsp of the olive oil.
- Roast for 30 mins, turning once during cooking, until golden and soft.
- While the butternut squash cooks, melt 1 tbsp butter with the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan, then add 2 diced onions, 1 thinly sliced garlic clove .
- Cover and cook on a very low heat for 15-20 mins until the onions are completely soft.
- Tip the butternut squash into the pan, add 850ml hot vegetable stock and 4 tbsp crème fraîche, then whizz with a stick blender until smooth. For a really silky soup, put the soup into a liquidiser and blitz it in batches.
- Return to the pan, gently reheat, then season to taste.
- Serve the soup in bowls with swirls of crème fraîche.